Santorini is a beautiful destination for summer. This unique island is known for its wild beauty and its volcano. It literally is a jaw dropping island of the Cyclades. Nothing boasts its view and is a feast for the eyes. Around every corner you’ll find a new view, new colors to fall in love with and fresh cobbled streets to explore.
Perfectly known for its rich history, for the stunning architecture and the fabulous Caldera view. In order to organize better your Santorini holidays, have a look in our travel guide featuring the best bars, restaurants, beaches and places to visit.
- The volcano of Santorini was erupted in 1.650 BC which is considered to be one of the largest eruptions in the last 10.000 years. Our team of experts can organize a tour for you.
- The town of Fira is the capital of Santorini offering panoramic views to the volcano as it is perched on the edge of a cliff. Fira, has the traditional Cycladic architecture with white houses and picturesque alleys.
- The worldwide known caldera of Santorini is one of the most stunning natural beauties on planet. The volcanic explosion resulted in the alteration of the topography of the Mediterranean.
- Megalochori village is very beautiful and you will have the chance to taste and meet the wines of Santorini. Plan a trip at the wineries of Boutari and Gavala and visit the thermal springs on the beaches of Plaka.
- Amoudi Bay is the best swimming spot on Santorini – but not a beach. Usually they jump from the rocks into beautiful blue water. There’s a small island that you can swim out to that has glorious views of the caldera.
- Tou Christou Ta Thermi is a unique beach in the area of Megalochori inside the caldera. It is a secluded beach that can be reached only by boat. It is a had formerly been a natural SPA thanks to the volcano. If you see the beach from a boat, you will be impressed by the church which is carved into the rock. Next to the church several old cave houses entrances exist.
- Skala is the main harbor and where the ships moor. It is not really a harbor but a quay. There is a lot swell into the bay. The shelter is not great. It is too deep here to anchor so, yachts tie to one of two buoys and go stern-to. The problem here is that when a boat wants to depart, the boats on the outside have to untie. Under these conditions it is hard to leave your boat unattended and go sightseeing.
- Harbour of Athinios is a small harbor about 3 nM S of Skala.
- Harbour of Monolithos is a small harbor on the E coast of the island. The shelter here is reasonable but there is some swell with the meltemi. The rough breakwater has 2-3 m depths. Go bows-to with a long line at the extremity of the breakwater.
- The anchorage of Oia and Finikia is reasonably shelter from the meltemi but there is almost always some swell. There is a small pier with about 6 m depth but it usually crowded with fishing boats. Anchor off at 10-20 m depth. The bottom is rocky so use a trip line or be prepared to dive in case the anchor gets fouled. Alternatively, there are about eight buoys, one or more of which may be free for a short stay. Just south-east of Oia are a number of smaller buoys, plus some huge ones, to which one may be able to tie up.
- On the south of Cape Akrotiri there are a few coves, sheltered from the meltemi. Again, there seems to be some constant swell. If you anchor in 4-5 m there is good holding.
- Anchorage in red beach is located a couple of miles to the west of Vlichada marina. Usually is a safe anchorage. However it gets untenable with strong south winds.
- Red Beach is enclosed by steep red hills that create a wild scenery. If you stand on the top you will set eyes on enormous volcanic rocks situated in the sea, small pebbles and sand of various colors, mainly red, all along the beach and appealing dark blue waters.
- White Beachis located 14 km away from Fira and is one of the major tourist attractions. Its name derives from the stones that cover the sand.
- Perissa and Perivolos Beaches are essentially one very long beach with water sports and beach bars options.
- Kamari beach has a plethora of watersports to choose from!
- The Athenian House offers excellent food and sunset views as it is located in Imerovigli overlooking the rocks of Skaros.
- Selini is a must. The restaurant of George Hatzigiannakis reopened in Pyrgos, continuing his creative dialogue with the local cuisine that brings delicious dishes.
- Kapari Wine Restaurant located in Imerovigli and is for those who enjoy fine dining.
- Lauda restaurant in Oia, offers wonderful food to go with the incredible view.
- 1800 in Oia is the most formal restaurant in Oia. Great food and a nice rooftop garden with views. Reservations recommended.
- Red Bicycle is the best for a romantic summer dinner.
- Koukoumavlos is a fine Dining Restaurant located at Fira is the place to be if you want to have a romantic and special night.
- Ambrosia in Oia: The most romantic restaurant in Oia, and maybe all of Santorini. Make reservations far in advance.
- Astra Restaurant at Astra suites is for fine dining. Book a table since it only has 5 tables and enjoy the amazing food.
- Lotza is well worth a visit if you like to drink your coffee with a view.
- Metaxy Mas – Exo Gonia is a nice tavern on Santorini. The views are of Kamari beach and the airport. A perfect evening (away from the caldera) would include a meal at Metaxy Mas.
- Naoussa is located on Fira, this restaurant offers wonderful (traditional) food and great views. Reservations are suggested.
- Giorgaros is for the best fish in the island. It will simply steal your heart.
- Sunset Ammoudi Tavern, Ammoudi Fish Tavern, Dimitri’s and Katina are all wonderful little taverns by the sea located in Ammoudi Bay. True to be said, all the seafood taverns in Ammoudi are excellent. Make a preorder for the lobster spaghetti.
- Melitini situated in Oia is the best choice for the intriguing idea of Greek Tapas. Taste the grilled octopus and the baked dishes (potatoes topped with spicy saugage and fried eggs)
- Lolitas in Oia for icecream.
- Karma in Oia is a charming, friendly restaurant with some of the best dishes.
- Remvi – Firostefani : There are several restaurants with great views in Firostefani. Remvi has the tastiest food. Reservations recommended if you want a table along the edge.
- 39 steps in Oia is the place to be to enjoy a delicious brunch with a view.
- Avocado in Imerovigli is along with Mezzo, this is my favorite restaurant in Imerovigli, but no view. Reservations usually not required.
- If you’re looking for great food and great view then Mezzo is the best restaurant in Imerovigli.
- Roka – Oia: My favorite restaurant in Oia. As the owner said to me, “Lousy view, lousy service, incredible food.” Reservations recommended.
- Skala – Oia: Great views and some absolutely delicious dishes. Reservations usually not required.
- Anogi in Imerovigli: Reservations are needed here as it’s one of Imerovigli’s best restaurants. If you can’t get a table, Estia Taverna is steps away and almost as good.
- Cava Alta in Pygros leaves you speechless. Hidden in the lanes below the castle in Pyrgos this place has some of the best dishes in Santorini.
- 1500 Wine Bar & Restaurant in Fira is the best choice if you need a quiet spot in Fira with great views.
- If you are in the mood for a suvlaki try Lucky’s Souvlaki in Fira which is simply delicious.
- Corner Crepes and Waffles in Fira is the best breakfast spot there. Sweet and savory crepes are delicious. Good coffee too. No reservations.
- Ta Dixtia at Perivolos offers great seafood by the beach and is a great choice after a party at one of Perivolo’s beach bars.
- The cave of Nikolas in Akrotiri is literally by the sea. It is a traditional cave, build by Uncle Nikolas. It serves delicious traditional Greek cuisine right on the waterPerfect for dinner photos with the waves crashing gently behind you.
- Koo Clubis easily the most popular club in Santorini, Koo is for the dance-party types. Prepare for a constantly packed crowd but a fun international scene.
- Enigma Clubhas been around since the late 1970s and offers a really cool interior. Check this one out for sure!
- Tango is one of the famous bar-clubs on Santorini and offers a spectacular view of the caldera and the sea. The bar has an open roof to give a clear view of summer sky.
- Santorini specializes in wine production and is highly appreciated all over the world. There are of three kinds:
- Brusko: Red / dry / strong
- Nichteri: White / dry / strong
- Vissanto: Red / sweet / extremely strong (reminds the liqueur)
Sailing Destinations All Destinations
The Ionian islands have a mild and temperate climate which makes them the ideal location for vacation. The beaches are...
Cyclades is part of the islands in Aegean Sea and are a very popular destination for holidays all year round,...
The islands in the symplex of Dodecanese are natural magnets to their visitors offering memorable and authentic experiences. Each island...
The Islands in Saronic Gulf are a beloved destination and in addition to the more familiar islands, they are located...