Hydra is a small gem-island located in the Aegean Sea between the Saronic Gulf and the Argolic Gulf. Ideal for including this small island in your itinerary starting from Athens! A historical island, as Hydra took part in the Greek War of Independence that begun in 1821 with a great merchant fleet.
Many places and things you will definitely love on Hydra, but for sure the one thing that a tourist adores is the banning of all motor traffic! Most beaches are only accessible by boat which makes it more attractive to those who love to be on board! Choose a perfect serene beach and enjoy your day on Hydra!
- VlichosBeach is located on the west of Kamini. The shallow waters and the gray pebbled beach is ideal for families. It is also a good dive destination.
- Agios Nikolaos beach which you can reach only per boat. You can dive into the crystal clear water .
- As all motorbikes and cars are forbidden on the island, the only way to move “faster” and more “comfortable” is to use a donkey or a horse! You can ride a horse or a donkey from different places on the island.
- Molos beach, approx. 5 km from Hydra town is a pebbled beautiful beach, suitable also for families. Being onboard is a huge advantage to explore this amazing beach.
- Agios Nikolaos, located on the west coast of Hydra is also accessible only by boat and also a fantastic beach. Just note that you have to take with you water and food as you will find no shops or taverns on this beach.
- Vlichos Beach is again a beautiful small pebbled beach with crystal turquoise water and some taverns where you could enjoy a delicious meal after swimming.
- Nisiza beach, located in the south west coast, a pebbled beautiful beach with crystal clear waters.
- Limnioniza & Karalis beach, on the south coast, is suitable for all and is breathtaking as you can admire the large green cliff that is extending above this beach.
- Dokos island for isolation and relaxation.
- The most common place to anchor is Mandraki. It is a big organized bay just to the east of Hydra town.
- The bay is Molos, which means “jetty” in Greek, and you’ll find it a couple of miles west from Hydra town, almost opposite the east end of Dhokos. There are small islands just outside the entrance to the bay.You have to be a little careful with your entry as there is a reef outside. The safest entry is from the east, keeping a good look out ahead. Molos is a pretty bay, well protected from most directions. It has a pebble beach and is surrounded by pine trees. At the back of the beach is a large private property, resembling a monastery.
- Kamini beach, where you could also anchor, is also a picturesque beach, organized and worth to visit .
- Agios Nikolaos is considered to be the most picturesque anchorage of Hydra that is protected from all winds.
- Mikro Kamini is a charming fishing cove with main characteristic its deep blue waters. It is an organized beach and very picturesque.
- Kaoumithi beach, just after Molos bay on the north west coast, is a small rocky beach with beautiful scenery and fantastic clear waters.
- Bisti Beach is a small pebbled beach where you could also give it a try to do sportive activities such as scuba diving, snorkeling and kayak.
- Techne Restaurant & Social is the best Restaurant you can visit on the island . All day coffee Restaurant , in the morning you can have your coffee and as the day ends enjoy all the other meals .Excellent service and excellent greek cuisine. You must try the calamari risotto , the homemade pasticcio and for dessert try galaktoboureko .
- Bratsera in Hydra Town offers a fine selection of typical greek dishes. Just sit at the pool or inside the restaurant and enjoy a fantastic culinary experience!
- Pirofani located just 3 minutes from Kamini Harbour offers you international and Greek flavors! Enjoy fresh fish and fresh vegetables accompanied with excellent wine !
- The Cool Mule : Great and large variety of ice creams and waffles ! Give it a try!
- Manna – Ethnic Street Food: If you want to taste something different visit this place! Sfakianopita (a sort of pie) , pork meat with a touch of blue cheese, eggplant millepheuille and many more.
- Try to find Amalour on the ground floor of an old house. One of the most popular spots in Hydra. With a variety of music like jazz, ethnic and up tempo you can relax and enjoy your drink in a friendly atmosphere.
- Papagalos has fantastic cocktails with a great view across the harbour and the town.
- Don’t miss and forget to buy almond sweets which is the best sweet on Hydra.
Sailing Destinations All Destinations
The Ionian islands have a mild and temperate climate which makes them the ideal location for vacation. The beaches are...
Cyclades is part of the islands in Aegean Sea and are a very popular destination for holidays all year round,...
The islands in the symplex of Dodecanese are natural magnets to their visitors offering memorable and authentic experiences. Each island...
The Islands in Saronic Gulf are a beloved destination and in addition to the more familiar islands, they are located...